Monday, March 24, 2014

Portland Art Museum


I recently spent an afternoon at the Portland Art Museum. This was an absolutely wonderful way to spend an afternoon, I highly recommend taking some time to visit if you are able. I began by visiting the Ancient China Exhibit. This space had taupe colored walls, with white trim. The sculptures were enclosed in glass cases, and the lighting was spectacular, it really made the pieces come alive. The warm wood floors gave a nice haptic sense in the space. With the lighting you didn't even notice there were no windows in the room.




Ancient Chinese Horse Statue

 
The Portland Museum is very large, so after I did my wandering through the Chinese Art, I joined a group for a tour. The tour I took was  focused on experiencing the special exhibit in the museum entitled "Venice, The Golden Age of Art and Music". This tour was for the visually impaired, so since my current design project includes both a galley space and vision impairment elements, I felt this would benefit my understanding of visiting a museum with a visual impairment.
 
We began our tour in a room where a museum docent talked about the importance of music in the culture of Venice during the 16th Century. She then played a short tape, and talked about the common instruments of the time, after which a lute, recorder, and several violins were passed around for the visitors to try to play and to touch and feel. There was even a harpsichord for everyone to try!
 
After the introduction to the music of the period, we went upstairs to the gallery exhibits. We were seated in front of a large painting entitled "The Wedding Feast at Cana" by Veronese. The docent described the painting and the special features, colors and history of the painting.

 
 
After hearing about the artwork, the museum had organized a duet to play some of the period music for us. A violinist and recorder player were a wonderful addition to the time spent on this tour. I then went to experience the rest of the Venice exhibit on my own. What struck me most besides the art, was the colorful walls. Red, blue, green and gold were colors painted upon the permanent and moveable museum walls. The unifying factor was the white wainscoting and millwork. The wall colors really helped to "pull" you through the spaces. Here are a couple of examples of how they used color.

 
 
 

Lighting was all artificial in this exhibit, they used adjustable track lights, but not the type I usually see. These were recessed tracks in the coffered ceilings which the curators used to direct light onto the art pieces. There was also plenty of ambient lighting, which made the spaces bright and cheerful with all the color.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment